Sunday, September 29, 2024

Repent That I ,Your Savior, Might Heal You

 

...I have thought of the Lord’s invitation to come unto Him and to spiritually be 

wrapped in His arms. 

He said, “Behold, [my arms] of mercy [are] extended towards you, 

and whosoever will come, 

him will I receive; 

and blessed are those who come unto me.”1

The scriptures speak of His arms being 

open,2 

extended,3 

stretched out,4 

and encircling.5 

They are described as 

mighty6 and holy,7 

arms of mercy,8 

arms of safety,9 

arms of love,10 

“lengthened out all the day long.”11

We have each felt to some extent these spiritual arms around us. 

We have felt His forgiveness, 

His love and comfort. 

The Lord has said, 

“I am he [who] comforteth you.”12

The Lord’s desire that we come unto Him and be wrapped in His arms 

is often an invitation to repent. 

“Behold, he sendeth an invitation unto all men, 

for the arms of mercy are extended towards them, 

and he saith: Repent, 

and I will receive you.”13

When we sin, we turn away from God. 

When we repent, we turn back toward God.

The invitation to repent is rarely a voice of chastisement

 but rather a loving appeal 

to turn around and to “re-turn” toward God.14 

It is the beckoning of a 

loving Father 

and His Only Begotten Son 

to be more than we are, 

to reach up to a higher way of life, 

to change, 

and to feel the happiness of keeping the commandments. 

Being disciples of Christ, 

we rejoice in the blessing of repenting and the joy of being forgiven. 

They become part of us, 

shaping the way we think and feel.

...repentance is a blessing to all of us. 

We each need to feel the Savior’s arms of mercy 

through the forgiveness of our sins.

I am amazed at the Savior’s encircling arms of mercy and love for the repentant, 

no matter how selfish the forsaken sin. 

I testify that the Savior is able and eager to forgive our sins. 

 What a marvelous privilege for each of us to turn away from our sins and to 

come unto Christ. 

Divine forgiveness is one of the sweetest fruits of the gospel, 

removing guilt and pain from our hearts 

and replacing them with 

joy and peace of conscience. 

Jesus declares,

 “Will ye not now return unto me, 

and repent of your sins, 

and be converted, 

that I may heal you?16

For most, repentance is more a journey than a one-time event. 

It is not easy. 

To change is difficult. 

It requires running into the wind, swimming upstream. 

Jesus said, “If any man will come after me, 

let him deny himself, 

and take up his cross and follow me.”18 

Repentance is turning away from some things, 

such as dishonesty, pride, anger, and impure thoughts,

 and turning toward other things, such as 

kindness, 

unselfishness, 

patience, and

 spirituality. 

It is “re-turning” toward God.

At this very moment, 

someone is saying, 

“Brother Andersen, you don’t understand. 

You can’t feel what I have felt. 

It is too difficult to change.”

You are correct; I don’t fully understand. 

But there is One who does. 

He knows. He has felt your pain. 

He has declared, 

“I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands.”22 

The Savior is there, reaching out to each of us, bidding us: 

“Come unto me.”23 

We can repent. We can!

The scriptures do not say that we will forget our forsaken sins in mortality. 

Rather, they declare that the Lord will forget.26


The forsaking of sins implies never returning. 

Forsaking requires time. 

To help us, the Lord at times allows the residue of our mistakes 

to rest in our memory.27 

It is a vital part of our mortal learning.

 With time, we will feel the anguish of our sorrow subside, 

taking “away the guilt from our hearts”28 

and bringing “peace of conscience.”29

I bear witness 

that our Savior can deliver us from our sins. 

I have personally felt His redeeming power. 

I have unmistakably seen 

His healing hand upon thousands in nations throughout the world. 

I testify that His divine gift 

removes guilt from our heart and brings peace to our conscience.

He loves us. ...

He invites each of us to repent, 

turn away from our sins,

 and come unto Him. 

I witness that He is there 

in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

It is Well With My Soul

When peace like a river, attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well, with my soul
It is well
With my soul
It is well, it is well with my soul
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come
Let this blest assurance control
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate
And hath shed His own blood for my soul
It is well (it is well)
With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, o my soul!
It is well (it is well)
With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul
It is well (it is well)
With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Song by Audrey Assad


Excerpts from the talk....

Repent … That I May Heal You

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, what's on that yummy little mind of yours? let me know!