Saturday, September 6, 2008

winter saves what is pure




I love to see when leaves depart,
The clear anatomy arrive,
Winter, the paragon of art,
That kills all forms of life and feeling
Save what is pure and will survive.

Roy Campbell

I had a poster with this first stanza  of the poem "Autumn" hanging on my wall for a few years when I was 12-16 years old.  There was a beautiful picture of a train winding it's way through a mountain pass with naked trees.  I bought it from a book club in the 6th grade for $1.   Little did I know the impact the poster and poem would have on my development as a person.

I was asked to give a 'thought' in my family home evening group as a freshman in college.  Like some freshmen, I was struggling with issues of independence, friendship,  boyfriends, etc.  The world was crashing in.  This poem came to mind.  I realized how important this stanza was to me, as I interpreted it to mean that trials make us better.  Make us pure.  Strip us of superficiality and vanity.  Keep us humble. Bring us to who we really are. It brought to me the realization that our suffering is the sanctification of our souls.  In a sense, a beautiful process, because it makes us stronger, better, and more close to our Father in Heaven. 

I don't really look forward to the season of winter, or the winter-like phases of my life, but realize the outcome is worth it.  Spring with flowers that knock your socks off, sun and clear skies. There is a sadness and disappointment when some of my plants don't make it through the winter, but I realize my garden is better and more beautiful with those that have survived.  

Just like me.  And just like you.

How have your winters made you a better person....



6 comments:

  1. how well said DD, and absolutely agree with your feelings and visions... and as you said to me, we both were thinking in the same lines on the same day... but than we have more in common than we knew ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw..thanks taty for stopping by and leaving a comment! It made me so happy! I loved your quote and picture so much! Drop by any time friend! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your thoughts on this one were delightful and peace evoking! The radiant way you expressed them stirs my soul. Daiseedeb please know how much I appreciate the reminder that we are both on the same "road less traveled". Our paths continue like a pendulum, back and forth, back and forth....seldom staying in the middle for very long. The "aha" moment for Sweetpea; I've found peace through our savior Jesus Christ (love), nature and beautiful people (travelers) I've met along the way. I love your recent contributions on "think yummythoughts", especially this one!!!
    Thanks Daiseedeb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweetpea,

    Yeah! You posted your wonderful thoughts! I appreciate them so very much! Beautiful!

    xoxo daiseedeb

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I love about winter is that I get to spend precious time with my children doing what children love to do. Playing outside in the snow building snowmen and going sledding. Although it is so very cold outside I love it when my kids get excited when we have hot chocolate with marshmellows or whipped topping. The excitment when they see the first snowfall and the joy comes when enough snow has fallen for them to go outside and just be kids. Sometimes we forget that they are just kids and it is fun to sometimes act that way too. I love the leaves falling. With all the colors or earth tones. Curling up on my couch on a cold day in my robe with spiced cider watching a Christmas movie. Your thoughts and feeling were wonderful. Thanks DD
    Love, Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Kristin for your comments. I love them, and really know what you mean. ; )
    xo Deb

    ReplyDelete

hey, what's on that yummy little mind of yours? let me know!