Sunday, January 3, 2010

Opportunities for Betterment

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment
before starting to improve the world.

Anne Frank

"The best way to predict the future,

is to help create it."


Sometimes I feel powerless.

The ramblings and rantings of the media

regarding the ups and downs of our country often put me is a state of

despair....hopelessness.....confusion.

I ask, "Do I have any power in this situation?

Can I make any change?

Is there anyone in politics that is honest and truly a

public servant?"

I am afraid my answer is "no".

So what can I do,

to make the world a better place?

The answer:

simple acts of kindness

prayer

forgiveness

giving the benefit of the doubt

unconditional love

extending a hand despite differences

tolerance

embracing goodness

rejecting gossip

having a perspective of looking for the good in others

I can make the world a better place.

Have I Done Any Good?

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.

There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, “Sometime I’ll try,”
But go and do something today.
’Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love’s labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known.

Text and music: Will L. Thompson, 1847–1909, alt.

We have the power to improve this world.

Yes, we do!



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love all of your inspirational quotes, thoughts, and songs here. I love this hymn. We recently had a lesson in Relief Society that was basically devoted to the words of this hymn - have I done any good in the world today? What a question to ask ourselves each and everyday. Maybe my blog needs a post about just this...thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi daiseedeb, thanks for visiting my blog. I am glad you are enjoying it. There are indeed yummy thoughts in your blog and yummy photos too.

    ReplyDelete

hey, what's on that yummy little mind of yours? let me know!