Sunday, November 8, 2015

Kindness




Dear Lord, may I ever refrain
      From speaking ill of others;
      May I have kindly thoughts, as well,
      For all my earthly brothers!
May I, dear Heavenly Father,
      Radiate pure love for all...
May I see good in everyone;
      May I pray for those in woe...
If I can do these things, O Lord,
      While I am here on this earth,
      I'll feel my life's not been in vain—
      That I was blessed at my birth!
~Gertrude Tooley Buckingham, "Blessed at Birth" (1940s)

Excerpts from this talk:

The Virtue of Kindness

Joseph B. Wirthlin
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
April 2005
Kindness is the essence of a celestial life. Kindness is how a Christlike person treats others.

...Kindness is the essence of greatness and the fundamental characteristic of the noblest men and women I have known. Kindness is a passport that opens doors and fashions friends. It softens hearts and molds relationships that can last lifetimes.

...Kindness is the essence of a celestial life. Kindness is how a Christlike person treats others. Kindness should permeate all of our words and actions at work, at school, at church, and especially in our homes.

...Jesus, our Savior, was the epitome of kindness and compassion. He healed the sick. He spent much of His time ministering to the one or many. He spoke compassionately to the Samaritan woman who was looked down upon by many. He instructed His disciples to allow the little children to come unto Him. He was kind to all who had sinned, condemning only the sin, not the sinner. 


...I often wonder why some feel they must be critical of others. It gets in their blood, I suppose, and it becomes so natural they often don’t even think about it. They seem to criticize everyone—the way Sister Jones leads the music, the way Brother Smith teaches a lesson or plants his garden.

...Even when we think we are doing no harm by our critical remarks, consequences often follow. I am reminded of a boy who handed a donation envelope to his bishop and told him it was for him. The bishop, using this as a teaching moment, explained to the boy that he should mark on the donation slip whether it was for tithing, fast offerings, or for something else. The boy insisted the money was for the bishop himself. When the bishop asked why, the boy replied, “Because my father says you’re one of the poorest bishops we’ve ever had.”
...When we are filled with kindness, we are not judgmental. The Savior taught, “Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven.” 4 He also taught that “with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.” 5
“But,” you ask, “what if people are rude?”
Love them.
“If they are obnoxious?”
Love them.
“But what if they offend? Surely I must do something then?”
Love them.
“Wayward?”
The answer is the same. Be kind. Love them.
Why? In the scriptures Jude taught, “And of some have compassion, making a difference.” 6
Who can tell what far-reaching impact we can have if we are only kind?
...My brothers and sisters, the gospel of Jesus Christ transcends mortality. Our work here is but a shadow of greater and unimaginable things to come.

...As our Heavenly Father loves us, we also should love His children.
...May we be models of kindness. May we ever live up to the words of the Savior: “By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.” 7 Of these truths I bear witness in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, what's on that yummy little mind of yours? let me know!