Saturday, August 30, 2008

I Appreciate.....






"Just think how happy you would be if you lost everything you have right now, and then got it back again."

Frances Rodman

This quote was on my thinkyummythoughts web site last week, and it has really hit home to me the past couple of days. 

I have a little gal I work with named Katie who I adore.  She is 7.  I am her speech therapist.  She is a wild little woman who is approximately 2 -3 years old in her language development.  She came to me because of the frustration of her original therapist.  The therapist couldn't connect with her.  With me....it was immediate.  Love at first sight!  We play, she says "no" alot, we laugh, she teases me...it is delightful.

Last Wednesday I learned that Katie's house burned down.  My heart broke. I know she doesn't understand what has happened.  I have learned that her behaviors are out of control and she is beside herself.  I talked to her mom and asked if I could help purchase some items for Katie. She said yes.

Soooo...yesterday I went to Walmart and browsed through the little girls department.  I started with pants.  Realized, she would probably need at least 4 or 5 pairs....oh yes and then shirts. 4 or 5.  And then a sweatshirt because it is getting cold.  Oh...she will need socks!!!!  10 pair.  Oh yes, and probably underwear, at least 7....PJs!!!!  My cart was getting fuller and fuller.... Shoes~! Darn, I didn't think to get the size of those!  ohmygosh...she needs bedding I bet!!!!  Sheets, blankets, pillows.....yup.  And toys.  

I started to envision this little girl with just the clothes on her back, staring at her house on fire.  Her world crumbling before her eyes.  And, I remembered this quote from the other day.
I reflected on the simple things in my life that I am grateful for....

my clothes
my socks
my underwear
my shoes
my hairbrush
my toothbrush
my bed
my sheets
my pillow
my blankets
shelter
a place to go to at the end of the day
my security

I appreciate these things.

And you?  What do you appreciate today....



3 comments:

  1. oh my goodness this made me tear up! poor little katie. i wish i were there to shop for you. you are so good at stepping up to the plate in situations like this. she is going to be so excited. i hope you got her something hannah montana. apparently she's all the rave.
    love you...
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate a dear sister who is bursting with compassion for a 7 year old girl who has a big load of challenges right now. I also appreciate WalMart, that has good deals. And I appreciate having a roof over my head.

    Love,
    Pooder

    ReplyDelete

hey, what's on that yummy little mind of yours? let me know!